What You Need To Know About UK-EU Shipping Post Brexit

Posted on January 13, 2021

Common Transit

As of 1st January 2021, all goods moving between the UK and the EU require export and import declarations.

The UK Government recommends the use of common transit when exporting or taking goods out of the UK to move them quickly and delay duty until the destination is reached. The documents are also known as T1, T2 and T2F declarations and these will depend on the status of the goods if they are union goods or non-union goods and on its destination.

Common transit is a customs procedure that allows the movement of goods to, from, through or between the countries that have signed the Common Transit Convention without the need to:

  • Complete customs declarations until they end their transit movement
  • Pay customs duties and other charges on the goods until they end their transit movement

In order to use this simplified procedure the businesses will need to meet these requirements if they want to do the customs process themselves:

  • Bear an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI)
  • Have a guarantee to cover duties suspended on the goods while they are being moved
  • To be registered for the New Computerised Transit System to make transit declarations
  • To be registered for the National Export System
  • To choose which UK office of departure (a customs office) they want to start moving their goods from.

The UK’s status as a common transit country is unchanged despite the country’s exit from the EU. Therefore, common transit can be used to move goods from, between or through Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the other common transit countries including the EU.

More information here.

Kent Access Permit

The port of Dover is a key entry point for goods crossing to or from the UK. To reduce traffic congestion at the port of Dover, a Kent Access Permit (KAP) must be obtained by hauliers before they enter Kent County. The KAP is mandatory for trucks with a gross combination mass (GCM) over 7.5 tonnes and which are using the Dover port to access the Calais crossing or Eurotunnel. The KAP can be obtained online using https://www.gov.uk/check-hgv-border/check-an-hgv-is-ready-to-cross-the-border. Hauliers should be prepared to provide information regarding export license, Movement Reference Number (MRN), EU import document with a barcode (for example from an import declaration or Transit Accompanying Document), and ATA or TIR Carnet.

Each KAP is valid for 24 hours. A new permit is needed each time the truck leaves Great Britain. Entering Kent County without valid KAP might result in a fine of up to 300 GBP. Hauliers also must have tested negative for coronavirus up to 72 hours prior to crossing the border into France.

Contributor: Lucie Jachkova

About Allyn International

Allyn International is dedicated to providing high quality, customer centric services and solutions for the global marketplace. Allyn's core products include transportation management, logistics sourcing, freight forwarding, supply chain consulting, tax management and global trade compliance. Allyn clients range from small local businesses to Fortune 500 firms. Allyn conducts business in more than 20 languages and has extensive experience in both developed and emerging markets. Highly trained experts are positioned throughout North America, Europe and Asia and Allyn regional headquarters are strategically located in Fort Myers FL USA, Shanghai P.R. CHINA and Prague, CZECH REPUBLIC. For more information, log on to www.allynintl.com.